Albany International Airport (FAA LID: ALB, IATA: ALB, ICAO: KALB) is the primary air center for Albany and the Capital Region. It is located six miles (9 km) northwest of Albany, in Albany County, United States. The airport covers 1,000 acres (400 ha) of land. ALB international airport has grown considerably over the years.
Currently, and the airport handles arrivals and departures for several commercial airlines, including Delta, Southwest, United, JetBlue, and Frontier. The Albany International Airport handles 54 daily commercial arrivals and departures on average and is also regulates 1,000 tower operations each day.
ALB Capacity and Facilities
The Albany International Airport provides various facilities and services. The Albany International Airport is owned and operated by the Albany County Airport Authority.
The Albany County Airport Authority launched a project that included a new terminal renovation, jetways, and Aircraft Control Tower. The $158 million projects funded with Airport Improvement (AIP), Passenger Facility Charge (PFC), and Airport Revenue Funds.
The new airport terminal accommodates around 1.5-million enplanements annually. The ALB terminal includes exiting shops and restaurants. The terminals also include ALB international airport business center that offers foreign currency exchange, computer and laptop workstations, three conference rooms, and video conferencing facilities. The project of the new terminal was completed in 2000 and included the addition of two new dual bridges enabling passengers to board and deplane from the front and rear of the airport.
The airport offers parking spaces for over 6,000 vehicles. In May 2000, the authority opened a new 1,600 car parking garage and a new 800-car economy parking lot. Also, in 2017 a Valet parking and two additional long term lots at either end of the terminal were added.
History of Albany Airport
Albany was the first municipal landing site for airplanes. The first strip located at the old polo field on Loudonville road, three miles north of the city. After one season, the city's "airport" was transferred to Westerlo island, whose long, level stretches along the Hudson River, south of the town seemed the ideal location. The ALB airport named after Teddy Roosevelt's son, Quentin, a fighter pilot during World War I.
The first pilot who landed in Albany was Charles A. Lindberg. In 1927, he landed his "Spirit of St. Louis" at around 2:06 p.m. Other famous aviators who landed in Albany are James Doolittle, Clarence Chamberlain, and Amelia Earhart.
Mayor Thatcher worked hard to create the nation's oldest municipal airport. In 1929, Canadian Colonial airways carried over 180 passengers from Albany to New York, 125 from New York to Albany, 54 from Albany to Montreal, It was the airport's first year of operation. In 1937 the airport was extended, and by 1937 the total number of passengers had increased.